From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: [KinoSearch] Compile 0.30_07 on FreeBSD 7
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 19:39:49 GMT
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:00:49AM -0800, Nathan Kurz wrote:

> I understand this reasoning, but I guess I'd go with the QUOTE macro
> unless there prove to be more known quirks.

OK, let's do that.  It's an implementation detail, so we can change it if
necessary later, and it's easy to switch from the current METAQUOTE to QUOTE.

> What we gain is crystal clear code, no outside dependencies, and an
> otherwise markup free syntax that an editor can automatically indent
> and highlight.

That's true about the syntax highlighting.  Vim doesn't like braces inside a
macro, but other than that, text escaped with QUOTE looks better than the
string literal with manual escapes.

Nate, can you please take a look at the HowToContribute wiki page and open a
JIRA issue?

Let me know if you think of any improvements to that page or if any section is
confusing on first read.  There's only one shot before you're burdened by the
curse of knowledge, too.  :)

After that, we can proceed in three stages.

First, I'll "svn move" all the .charm/.harm files to .c/.h and update the
toolchain to expect the new naming convention.

Next, we'll swap out all the METAQUOTE tags for QUOTE macros.  The QUOTE macro
definition should probably go into
trunk/charmonizer/src/Charmonizer/Core/Util.h.  Things will still work because
the METAQUOTE filter will just be a no-op after the change.

Nate, would you like to prepare that patch?  I can do it, but this is your
proposal and I'd like to get you involved and get you credit.

Finally, I'll prepare a patch which removes METAQUOTE and simplifies the
build chain.

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message