From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: [KinoSearch] Compile 0.30_07 on FreeBSD 7
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2009 17:10:37 GMT
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 09:51:54PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:

> When I change it to:
>  self->inc_dirs = realloc(self->inc_dirs, (num_dirs + 1)*sizeof(char*));
> then it works just fine.

Sweet. :)

> I committed the patch as r5494 to KinoSearch svn.

> Does a similar patch need to go into the Lucy Charmonizer tree?

I just added a HowToContribute page to the Lucy wiki (adapted from the same
page on the Java Lucene wiki).  Please let me know if it suffices to guide you
through the process of submitting a patch to Lucy.

> On that note, could we set up KS svn to pull Charmonizer as an
> svn:externals dep?

Provided that we tie it to specific revisions of the Lucy repository, that
could work.

However, the licensing is a bit complex.  So far, I've been taking advantage
of the fact that up till now I've been the sole contributor to Charmonizer to
release it under multiple licenses.  The KS distribution contains no
Apache-licensed code; insofar as it uses Lucene algorithms, it's considered a
derived work.  That makes things easier for packagers like the Fedora folks:

Furthermore, I'm not clear on what the ASF thinks about distributing code
that's not officially released.  Real releases of Lucy will have to clear a
Lucene PMC vote.  I dunno whether it's OK to put ASF-copyrighted code from the
Lucy repository into the KS tarball until that happens.  For now, the version
in the KS repository just has a different copyright notice.

The present situation is probably unsustainable once more people start
contributing to Lucy, but it's a pain to sort out.  Once we get a Lucy release
out the door, though, it gets simpler.

View raw message