From Peter Karman <>
Subject Re: [Lucy] Planning for the future: Lucy version 2 = "Lucy2"?
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 03:41:04 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote on 5/25/09 3:28 PM:
> Greets,
> I've previously asserted that "there should never be a Lucy version 2", using
> the example of CPAN/Perl as a target that does not support sane versioning --
> CPAN modules that break backwards compatibility trigger instantaeous failure
> in live apps as soon as the update is installed.

I tend to be with Nathan on this one. Is it really a problem? If I have Lucy in
production, I'm never going to just upgrade without having first pushed the new
release through a couple levels of testing and pre-production. If sysadmins are
using automatic package upgrading features for production systems, they're used
to getting bitten by this kind of thing (which is why you shouldn't use those
features on production systems...).

If it is a real issue, could you detect version mismatch early on and just croak?

Alternately, I know that some CPAN packages will detect the existence of
previous versions and force you to step through a manual acknowledgment of "yes,
I know I'm likely breaking something" as part of the install.

Peter Karman  .  .
gpg key: 37D2 DAA6 3A13 D415 4295  3A69 448F E556 374A 34D9

View raw message