From Nathan Kurz <>
Subject Re: SortCollector
Date Fri, 01 May 2009 19:18:22 GMT
On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Marvin Humphrey <> wrote:
> I hope we can achieve the same ends in Lucy with at most 2 classes:
> "SortCollector" and "TopDocCollector".

Hi Marvin ---

I haven't had time to read the recent messages closely, but I took a
few minutes to try to catch up with this one.   The small-scale logic
makes sense to me (rationale for jump tables etc) but I'm not quite
getting the bigger picture.  Could you contextualize a little?

My instinct is that you're putting a little too much knowledge of the
internals here into SortCollector.  Maybe this is merely naming,
though.  Is there a difference between 'Score' and 'Float'?  Between
Ord8 and Int8?

And will there be a way to just fall back on String comparisons,
bypassing the Sort cache?  I'd like to view the cache as an
optimization, like adding an index to database column[1].  But it
feels like you are making it a requirement.

As always, I'm worried that maybe I won't be able to abuse your
interface in ways it was not designed.  :)  In particular, I wonder
about integrating hits from multiple networked machines and being able
to iteratively return all the sorted results for big databases.

Nathan Kurz

[1]  It does feel like you're redeveloping a lot of SQLite here!

View raw message