From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: Reference counting inside a GC host (was "real time updates")
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:11:55 GMT
On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 06:01:16AM -0400, Michael McCandless wrote:

> You might consider adding the hooks for a tracing collector, but not
> creating such a collector now.  IE have each Lucy obj expose a method
> to visit the other objs it refers to.

We can probably have Boilerplater autogenerate that code.  That way we only
have to only write one compiler module instead of manually maintaining methods
for X hundred classes.

> I think you'd be surprised at how easily cycles are accidentally created.
> It's sort of like saying programmers are accustomed to writing high
> performance code, but then an O(N^2) slips in somewhere and goes
> undetected until N happens to get large deep in production.

Heh.  Or a reference cycle leak slips in that happens to get large and causes
a performance hit in production.  Been there done that.

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message