From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: State of affairs
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:26:41 GMT
On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:34:52PM +0100, Torsten Curdt wrote:
> I am looking for something like Lucene to use via C/Objective-C.
> (Preferably even compatible so that it can read the indexes generated
> by the java version - but that's no requirement)

There's CLucene (C++) and Lucene.NET.  Both offer limited support for old
versions of the Lucene file format.

Two other non-Lucene-ish full text search libraries are Swish (C) and Xapian (C++).

> It seems like Lucene4c is dead and looking through trunk of Lucy it
> seems like there also isn't much yet. (Unless I missed something).
> So what's going on with Lucy?

See the threads at <> and <> (Links to

In the grand scheme of its development, KinoSearch (Lucy antecedent / rough
draft) is reasonably close to having a C API.  But there's still a fair amount
of work to be done.

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message