From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: is lucy dead?
Date Sat, 13 Oct 2007 02:31:08 GMT

On Oct 12, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Yousef Ourabi wrote:

> There is nothing to compile.
> /trunk/c_src is empty.
> Are there any status updates?

Lucy is dormant but not dead.  There are three committers: myself,
Dave Balmain, and Doug Cutting.  Doug's role was to be advisory,
while Dave and I were to do the heavy lifting.  Unfortunately, Dave
has had a number of things come up which have significantly curtailed
his ability to contribute to open source projects, including both
Ferret and Lucy.  That leaves me.

I'm still active and working on a very closely related project,
KinoSearch.  Basically everything that went into Lucy has been
integrated into the KinoSearch code base, and subsequently
improved... I just haven't fed anything back into the Lucy repository
in a while.

The problem is that Lucy doesn't have users, so people don't try it
out, find an itch that needs scratchin', and contribute.  KinoSearch,
on the other hand, has received lots of nice contributions in the
last year.  With Dave mostly unavailable, I've gone where the
developers are.  Ultimately, some of the development work happening
on KS is likely to find its way into Lucy, and like most people, I'm
more productive in a social setting than working solo, so I'm more
productive this way.  My plan is to finish the long-awaited
KinoSearch 0.20 update, then reassess.  I'll either keep going with
KinoSearch or Lucy, but not both.

For the last several months I was engaged in a full-time-plus
contract job, but now I am considerably freer.  I'm presently able to
dedicate lots of time to KS, and that will continue for several
months at least.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research

View raw message