From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Charmonizer changes upcoming
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 01:27:01 GMT

I plan to make a couple changes to Charmonizer.  I don't anticipate
that they'll be controversial, but they're worth a mention.

First, the ability to set custom prefixes will be removed; all
symbols will now use a prefix of either chy_ or CHY_.  Having custom
prefixes clutters the code and was probably overkill.  Also, it's
complicating the task of keeping files in sync between KinoSearch and

Second, instead of writing to a single "charmony.h" header file, each
module will write to a separate header file, all of which will go
under a "Charmony" directory: "Charmony/Integers.h", "Charmony/
LargeFiles.h", etc.

Third, I'm going to start adding some C files instead of just writing
headers.  The driving force behind this is large file support under
MSVC -- there's no analogue to fseeko64 and ftello64 (prior to
version 8, IIRC), so you have to fake it up using fgetpos in a C
routine.  But there are other places where some C code is handy,
that's not the only one.  If we don't handle this stuff within
Charmonizer, we have to process and test it within Lucy itself, which
isn't really the right place.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research

View raw message