From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Large File Support
Date Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:13:12 GMT

It would be possible to have Charmonizer's LargeFiles module probe
whether configuring the _LARGEFILE_SOURCE and _FILE_OFFSET_BITS
macros succeeds in providing us with a 64-bit offset type when the
current probes fail (as they do on Linux).  However, I think that
sets us up for a possible confict with the host environment in the
case that it wasn't compiled with large file support.  Here's a
discussion of the issue:

I think what we ought to do is just leave the LargeFiles module as it
is now and count on the ccflags to define those macros when necessary
(-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE). Simpler, and failsafe.

Is it reasonable to make large file support a required prerequisite
for Lucy?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research

View raw message