From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Directory layout
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:45:03 GMT

Perl wants to have a bunch of stuff in the root directory of the
distro.  In addition to Build.PL it wants MANIFEST, META.yml,
Changes... and there are some other optional things that would make
life more pleasant too, like MANIFEST.SKIP.  Presumably Ruby wants
analogous items, and other languages would as well.  That's a recipe
for an incoherent root directory.

So instead of the current layout, I think we ought to have one folder
per language at the root dir.  The Perl modules will will move out of
$DIST_ROOT/src/perl and into $DIST_ROOT/perl/lib.  Ditto with Ruby:

When the perl distro gets built for CPAN, stuff will have to move
around some so that the CPAN automated tools find a Build.PL and so
on in the expected location.  No big deal, that.

How does this look?

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research

View raw message