From "David Balmain" <>
Subject Re: Charmonizer
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 01:31:22 GMT
On 7/9/06, Marvin Humphrey <> wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2006, at 7:16 PM, David Balmain wrote:
> > This is just an idea, but it might be worth doing away with the DSL
> > idea and just doing it all in C
> I'd thought about that.  And thanks for your implementation, which is
> nicely done.  It has the advantage of a simple main program, to be
> sure.  The downsides are A) it's hard to get your head around writing
> C code which writes C code which writes C code (argh, *when* does
> that macro get expanded?), and B) it's kind of noisy, because
> embedding C source code in printf's and C quoted strings involves a
> lot of escaping.  Streamlining the main app is a Good Thing, but I
> think using pure C will make module-writing harder and more error-prone.

You are spot on here. But I thought you could use a Perl script to
parse the simpler charm files into C89 files. This script would only
need to be run by the developers so we wouldn't have to worry about
porting it to Ruby etc.But hey, if you are happy to write the parser
in C, it's no skin of my back.

> So, off to finish the parser...

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

View raw message