From Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Load Balancers support
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 16:29:00 GMT

On Apr 13, 2011, at 11:25 AM, Grig Gheorghiu wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Tom Davis <tom@dislocatedday.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 13, 2011, at 12:29 AM, Roman Bogorodskiy <bogorodskiy@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Updates on load balancing support. What do I have now:
>>>
>>> * Functional GoGrid and Rackspace drivers
>>> * Unit-tests for basic features
>>>
>>> Code is on github (as I mentioned before):
>>>
>>> https://github.com/novel/libcloud/compare/balancers
>>>
>>> It needs some more love for sure, but generally it's ready to hit main
>>> repository, in my opinion.
>>>
>>> The only concern I have there is when we are going to ship 0.5.0? If
>>> we're going to ship it really soonish, I'd rather wait for it to ship
>>> and commit balancers stuff thereafter.
>>>
>>> I think I will need about 2 or maybe 3 weeks to polish and test the
>>> code.
>>>
>>> Also, Paul had some concerns about 'lb' not being top-level module
>>> (libcloud.resource.lb as opposed to libcloud.lb). Any more thoughts on
>>> that?
>>
>> I agree with Paul—something that only supports a couple providers probably shouldn't
be a top-level module. Also, I don't understand why it's called "lb"; it's completely non-descriptive
and not even a common acronym.

> LB is actually a very common acronym in systems administration.

+1, and although I have yet to grok the new module layout, perhaps we can throw it into something
like libcloud.networking.lb?

Yet, I am having a difficult time thinking of non-load balancer networking components currently
available.

Cheers,
Jerry