From Aymeric Barantal <m...@gandi.net>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Load Balancers support
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:43:22 GMT
Hi all,

> I've closely looked at GoGrid balancers before starting an
> implementation. Actually, I was going to start with GoGrid driver first,
> but it happened that I need Rackspace balancers more currently. I think
> the abstraction used for balancers is more or less OK and wouldn't
> require major modifications for the new drivers.

I may help on some points for this loadbalancer API analysis. I'd designed
a LB service and I'd got a look of others providers API to be sure to not
reinvent a wheel.

From my point of view a main difference could occur in API usage switch we
consider a level 3/4 LB service or either a level 7 one (HTTP reverse proxy).
This could make this design difficult.

> I had a brief look at balancing service at Amazon and the object model
> they use is almost the same, but they expose this as WSDL, not REST.

They also have an HTTP interface with GET and POST verb, not strictly REST
but close enough to make such driver painless, I thinks (SOAP and
python is not always really an easy thing)

http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/ElasticLoadBalancing/latest/DeveloperGuide/index.html?Using_Query_API.html

I'll get a closer look of code proposal, and will report which points I can't
adapt easily to others API I know so far (mine included ;))

May we can provide another driver for l

Sincerly,

Aymeric Barantal (chamal)

--