From Mark Nottingham <m...@mnot.net>
Subject Re: [libcloud] libcloud roadmap and plans for the future
Date Sun, 06 Feb 2011 21:25:14 GMT

On 07/02/2011, at 6:11 AM, Tomaz Muraus wrote:

> Yes, Twisted is a big beast, but in my opinion it is still a lot better to
> use Twisted than something like asyncore.
>
> If we would use something like asyncore this means that we need to implement
> our own http client and a lot of other things which already exist in Twisted
> and have been battle tested.

True, but it's not that hard. I did an async HTTP client in a few hundred lines of Python,
and it has been battle-tested.

> On the other hand, we are not building a non-blocking Python framework so
> using something like epoll, kqueue, etc. directly and implementing our own
> abstractions is out of the question imo.
>
> There are also a lot of other non-blocking frameworks available for Python,
> but Twisted is pretty much the de-facto standard.

Instead of buying into Python's moral equivalent of J2EE, how about changing languages? You
can get very far, very quickly with node.js, for example, and it's async from the ground up.

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/