From Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Driver maintainers
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:02:59 GMT

On Jan 24, 2011, at 6:11 PM, Tomaz Muraus wrote:

> I agree that we shouldn't name this person an "author", but a "maintainer"
> sounds fine imo.
>
> Opinions?

I have no problem with "maintainer," although I do quite like the term "champion."

Whatever is decided upon, we should keep the list of driver contacts/maintainers on the wiki
and outside of the code.

It really comes down to expectations.

Do we expect maintainers to constantly test the drivers and keep the code working? What about
simple tasks like making sure the prices are updated? More on the specifics, where do patches
go? If the maintainer is not a committer, do external patches have to be written off by the
maintainer before committing the code?

IMHO, I don't think our community is at such a scale in which we require rigid processes and
hold such expectations.

If we view driver maintainers as volunteers, rather than elected officials, I think we will
continue to grow.

Cheers,
Jerry