From "Schwartz, Philip Marc (LNG-BCT)" <Philip.Schwa...@lexisnexis.com>
Subject RE: [libcloud] Project needs for TLP.
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 14:50:50 GMT
I guess from here, the first thing needed is documentation for our release and svn procedures,
along with commiting guide lines/coding standards. From there, we can start discussions on
release periods and scheduling so we can try and focus the community on common goals.

Thank You,
Philip Schwartz
Software Engineering
LexisNexis RIAG
O - 561 999 4472
C - 954 290 4024

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Chen [mailto:jerry@3rdengine.com] On Behalf Of Jerry Chen
Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2010 5:28 PM
To: libcloud@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [libcloud] Project needs for TLP.

On Dec 7, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Upayavira wrote:

> I think you (and Jed) are making interesting points.
>
> It was difficult for Libcloud to accept the Java port, and difficult
> for it not to.

Most eloquently put.

> I wonder how much interest there is in the Java code here. Is there
> enough to fork into a separate incubator podling? That would leave
> libcloud (python) to carry on with its own development at its own rate.

I think I've seen a couple of emails from Java Libcloud users but no one has stepped up to
the plate for contributing to the Java codebase.

> Philip, I think your assessments are reasonable, but some of the
> approaches you suggest don't fit too well with an Apache style. We
> don't tend to assign roles to individuals (even if they often tend to
> take them). What I *would* encourage is folks other than Paul managing
> releases.

Paul has been great and a driving force, especially for releases, but we do need to empower
other committers and contributors with the release procedure.

To wit:
- procedure/requirements for initiating a vote
- tagging release in SVN
- properly packaging
- updating PyPI, Debian/Ubuntu aptitude
- procedure for last-minute, post-release hotfixes

> Also, while IRC can be a useful tool, it can be difficult if you
> happen to be in the wrong timezone. (I've had times when I've had to
> join concalls at 1am because of US and Philippino participation. Not fun).

Overall I think increased activity on the mailing list or on IRC will be beneficial to the
community.

> All it really takes is for other folks in the community to start
> firing forwards their ideas for how the project can grow and develop.
> Everyone in the community is free to take a lead, with or without a role!

+1

> Upayavira

Cheers,
Jerry

> [...]
>> need to discuss them along with a few other things that I feel are
>> holding the project.
>>
>> Lets start with the project participation. Yes, Ant is right in the
>> fact that 90% of all interaction is handled by Paul at the moment and
>> I think this is something that should be discussed and a clear plan
>> of action should be outlined. Most other OSS projects I work with you
>> see things a set listing of project members and responsibilities
>> along with a voting community of core developers working on the
>> project for all actions and review of committed code/tagging.
>>
>> I think this should be our first course of action, vote in the
>> community for yearly rotating positions for things like overall
>> project management, code management, documentation management, etc.
>> This would probably clear up most of Ant's concerns in its self.
>> (also defining set roles for the project that follow the Apache way would be good,
ex:
>> http://ant.apache.org/bylaws.html).
>>
>> The second part of this should be a set meeting schedule that could
>> be done in irc where we can get as many of the community using and
>> developers working on the project together to discuss the motion of
>> the project and goals for each release, Monthly 30 min to 1 hour irc
>> meetings might be more then enough for this.
>>

>> Outside of project participation, there is one other topic that I
>> think need further discussion. This is the Java portion of libcloud
>> which is clearly not ready for TLP status. I would move for this to
>> be removed from the libcloud project for its own project.
>>
>> In the past Paul has stated that libcloud is a reference spec with an
>> example implementation in Python. I think this is far from the case
>> as all of the specification comes from the current Python code base.
>> At this time it is more beneficial for libcloud to be a Python cloud
>> library and not a reference specification. Yes, this makes things a
>> little hairy for things based on what libcloud does, but that is why
>> they are based on libcloud and not part of libcloud which I think has
>> been missed in hindsight with the java code.
>>
>> I would now move that for future development and needs for
>> graduation, we should discuss redefining libcloud as a python library
>> only so we can more finely focus on a defined library api that can be
>> adapted for other projects such as a java implementation to be based on.
>>
>> Thank You,
>> Philip Schwartz
>> Software Engineering
>> LexisNexis RIAG
>> O - 561 999 4472
>> C - 954 290 4024
>>
>> This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
>> information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is
>> protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should
>> this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

you should delete this message.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.