From Jed Smith <...@jedsmith.org>
Subject [libcloud] Removal of the Java bindings
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 16:52:00 GMT
Good morning,

Monitoring ant's concerns with our incubator graduation, I'd like to start
by addressing the first one. (This message is intended to address two,
actually: the Java port and, indirectly and subtly, committers not
participating.)

I somewhat agree with ant that we've been in a holding pattern with the Java
bindings to libcloud.

Allow me to preface this message by reiterating that Eric's contribution is
valued and really great. It's good to see that libcloud could become more
than a specific language's bindings; it could become a contract for a
developer to work with clouds, regardless of implementation language. I
would like to see development on this front, and I have ideas on how to do
so. The timing simply isn't right, until we can put thought into how best to
handle this - it's more documentation instead of outright code. Such
development would ultimately change the vision of libcloud from a Python
library to a metalibrary, and I don't want to approach that lightly.

I move for the removal of the Java bindings from libcloud pending a plan for
dealing with such alternate bindings. The development is welcome to continue
outside of the umbrella of libcloud as it stands today; I believe a name
change would be requisite, but I do not know the best way to handle that
(Eric?). If Eric would like to take it in a different direction altogether
once separated from us, I would actually encourage that as open source
should never be restrained, it should be allowed to flourish.

Regardless of whether this severance is positive or not, I know that the
libcloud community wishes Eric the best of luck. Based upon Eric's posts, I
believe he will see that this is good for both of us, too - I certainly
don't intend any ill will or malice or hard feelings! If Eric's Java port
became a freestanding project of its own with its own community, I'd be
pleased as punch. In the future, perhaps we can formulate a plan to
reintegrate, and I know that we'd like that.

Thoughts?

/me pushes the ball down the hill

--
Jed Smith