From Jerry Chen <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Project needs for TLP.
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 22:27:37 GMT

On Dec 7, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Upayavira wrote:

> I think you (and Jed) are making interesting points.
>
> It was difficult for Libcloud to accept the Java port, and difficult for
> it not to.

Most eloquently put.

> I wonder how much interest there is in the Java code here. Is there
> enough to fork into a separate incubator podling? That would leave
> libcloud (python) to carry on with its own development at its own rate.

I think I've seen a couple of emails from Java Libcloud users but no one has stepped up to
the plate for contributing to the Java codebase.

> Philip, I think your assessments are reasonable, but some of the
> approaches you suggest don't fit too well with an Apache style. We don't
> tend to assign roles to individuals (even if they often tend to take
> them). What I *would* encourage is folks other than Paul managing
> releases.

Paul has been great and a driving force, especially for releases, but we do need to empower
other committers and contributors with the release procedure.

To wit:
- procedure/requirements for initiating a vote
- tagging release in SVN
- properly packaging
- updating PyPI, Debian/Ubuntu aptitude
- procedure for last-minute, post-release hotfixes

> Also, while IRC can be a useful tool, it can be difficult if you happen
> to be in the wrong timezone. (I've had times when I've had to join
> concalls at 1am because of US and Philippino participation. Not fun).

Overall I think increased activity on the mailing list or on IRC will be beneficial to the
community.

> All it really takes is for other folks in the community to start firing
> forwards their ideas for how the project can grow and develop. Everyone
> in the community is free to take a lead, with or without a role!

+1

> Upayavira

Cheers,
Jerry