From Eric Woods <woods...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Removal of the Java bindings
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 14:59:09 GMT
I certainly don't want to hold up the graduation of libcloud to a TLP.  I support libcloud's
graduation.

Libcloud's graduation is not a question of the code's readiness as much as it is the community's
readiness.  I do not think the Java work is doing harm by remaining in the sandbox, an approach
the community previously came to consensus on.  As Gav said, if we decide to remove the Java
work in separate thread, that's fair enough, but libcloud's graduation should not be the driving
force.

It's the common model that is the strength of libcloud, not Python.  The cloud industry is
in need of common and interoperable way of interacting with various cloud resources, something
libcloud has made great strides in defining & implementing.  By removing the Java work,
you will be eliminating a reference implementation in leu of a stand-alone Python project.

By removing the Java implementation, this community will have one less diversified committer
and will lose the prospect of a Java community.  I do not think the Java project has a chance
of being sustainable by itself; it's so tightly coupled with the Python implementation, both
in design and in API.  This is really the best place to keep the code as it can leverage libcloud's
Python community to gain traction.  It's also the logical place to keep the code to stay in
sync with libcloud's API and design decisions.  So, my preference is that the Java work remains
a part of libcloud and to develop a clear roadmap of co-existance.  With that said, if consensus
is reached that the work should be removed, I will respectfully bow out.

Kind regards,
Eric