From "Upayavira" ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Re: Removal of the Java bindings
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 14:53:55 GMT
I have been thinking about this, and trying to address what my issue is.
Then I read the following on the wave-dev list:

"It might be worth looking at what Lucene does vis-a-vis language ports:
 It
looks like the ports (to Python, .NET, C, etc.) are separate projects,
but
the main lucene.apache.org page provides convenient links to each of
them.
<http://lucene.apache.org/>

I don't see any reason something similar couldn't happen with Wave...
take
the C# Server that was being discussed, for example... it could enter
the
Incubator as a project in it's own right, with the two projects
providing
mutual links to each other, and with a "gentleman's agreement" between
the
developers to consult as necessary to deal with protocol compatibility,
etc.

Just a thought..."

I felt like this entirely captures what is going on with libcloud, and
if _this_ is the intention as to how libcloud operates, my issue in
regard to the Java impl goes away.

The java impl can stay as it is, as a simple incomplete port in a
sandbox. If it reaches a sufficient level, it can become a 'clone
subproject', or, be extracted out into its own project, whether under
incubation or as a TLP depending on community maturity.

The remaining issue expressed by Ant was regarding over-reliance on one
person, Paul.

I have mulled further on this, and have also come to the conclusion
that, for me, this is a non-issue.

I have viewed Paul as a driving force in the project. However, take him
away, and we still have active participation from others (maybe not
'lead' but participation, and ASF projects do not require a leader to
succeed).

Also, reviewing some simple metrics show that he is not over-dominant:
<50% of commits[1] and a small proportion of Jira issues[2].

Therefore, were this vote presented to the incubator PMC, I would now
vote +1.

Upayavira

[1] http://www.ohloh.net/p/libcloud/contributors
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?versionId=-1&issueStatus=all&selectedProjectId=12311030&reportKey=com.sourcelabs.jira.plugin.report.contributions%3Acontributionreport&Next=Next