From "Schwartz, Philip Marc (LNG-BCT)" <Philip.Schwa...@lexisnexis.com>
Subject RE: [libcloud] how to provide a new provider
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:10:08 GMT
I would think a VPS provider is not the intended use of the libcloud api. Libcloud is designed
for cloud infrastructures and currently being extended to key/value stores like CloudStore
and S3.

I think what would help your case more would be if you can go more into how you define a vps.

Is it a uml based jail? BSD style Jail? Or is it a virtualized private infrastructure?

Thank You,
Philip Schwartz
Software Engineering
LexisNexis RIAG
O - 561 999 4472
C - 954 290 4024

-----Original Message-----
From: Aymeric Barantal [mailto:mric@gandi.net]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2010 6:52 AM
To: libcloud@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [libcloud] how to provide a new provider

Hi All,

I work for gandi.net SAS, a french company well known in its market, that were historically
registrar one.

We also provide VPS solution since 3 years, nowaday in a datacenter located in Paris, but
we will open a second one in America (Baltimore) in some weeks.

Also, we just launch a beta release of our public API (xmlrpc based) for our customers to
be able to manage their VPS and associated resources. This API will be open to every customers
in a short term.

I make the exercice to checkout libcloud (python version) some days ago and develop a driver
to act with our API that I integrate without complexity in this lib. So from my point of view
we can become a new provider for libcloud. But I've got some questions to consider such integration
;)

What do you expect or require to integrate a new provider into your baseline ?

Do you have special considerations that we must take care of, for such work ?

I can provide a git patch or pull request easily if you want.

Sincerly,

Aymeric Barantal

- --
Senior Data Architect @ gandi.net
mric@gandi.net

you should delete this message.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.