From ant elder <antel...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Graduation Vote?
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2010 13:50:33 GMT
On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would be good to see more of a course set on what to do with the
>> Java support. There hasn't been consensus on what to do with it so
>> showing the project can handle that would be good before graduation.
>
> It hasn't attracted a diverse committer base.
>
> It hasn't been reviewed on a technical level.
>
> It hasn't been released (or had vetting with RAT).
>
> It is in a sandbox area. That is it's state.
>
> The Python side of libcloud is gaining absolutely zero by remaining in
> the Incubator.
>
> The Java side is just a young project which may die, or may grow, and
> I certainly hope for the former, but I am not sure how that is related
> to the community we have today remaining in the Incubator.
>
> Many TLPs grow communities in different products as they mature, and
> as long as we are comfortable with the makeup of the PMC, and trust
> them to know what to do, I don't believe the current situation with
> Java support is a problem for graduation.
>
> The Incubator is about education of people and IP clearance -- trust
> the people to do the right things, and the IP situation has long been
> clear for Libcloud.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

I'm not sure I'm convinced there's nothing more to be learnt here.
Dealing with what to do with the Java impl would help at least
demonstrate the community can deal with an awkward situation, just
leaving it in the sandbox seems like a holding pattern to me. But even
if thats not done i don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that the libcloud
community has learnt the Apache Way yet. It would be nice to see not
just the same one person doing all the releases, all the committer
nominations, most of the commits etc, even with graduation there
hasn't been any real discussion that i've seen about what the
graduation requirements are and why they've been met. If for some
reason you were unable to continue here Paul i'm not seeing much
evidence that the others would know all the ropes to continue. What do
mentors/others think about this?

   ...ant