From Jed Smith <...@jedsmith.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] how to provide a new provider
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 23:09:09 GMT
On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Schwartz, Philip Marc (LNG-BCT) <
Philip.Schwartz@lexisnexis.com> wrote:

> Ok, so for your terms vps is actually a typical virtualized cloud
> environment.

I wasn't aware there was a difference.

If we're splitting hairs, "VPS" predates "cloud" by many years (my employer
was instrumental in popularizing "VPS" starting in 2003), and "cloud" is
merely a way of thinking about architecture instead of a specific kind of
architecture. Cloud computing on Wikipedia debuted in 2007 [1], and the
article on VPS debuted in 2004 [2]. (Although that doesn't indicate a whole
lot, I think it's a minor piece of evidence toward what I'm saying here.)

To summarize: you can accomplish cloud-like behavior with any kind of
infrastructure. It's just a way of thinking about infrastructure, that's
all. Calling a specific kind of infrastructure deployment "cloud", I think,
is a bit deceptive; it is getting more and more deceptive with Microsoft's
recent marketing around Windows Cloud. Many Joe Sixpacks probably now think
cloud is a fancy way to accomplish Photoshop, given the ad I've seen most
frequently from that campaign.

Cloud is a methodology, not a type of hosting.

> The core is not all large named providers so by the goals of the libcloud
> project yours should be welcomed.

I agree that the more providers the merrier, but I don't particularly agree
with making it about "large" providers.

[1]:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cloud_computing&oldid=112299950
[2]: