From Grig Gheorghiu <grig.gheorg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Cloud storage providers/drivers
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 22:16:46 GMT
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Eric Woods <woodstae@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Grig,
>
> We did address this in libcloud's Java initiative.  After implementing a Java port of
libcloud, we pulled SimpleCloud under the libcloud umbrella to provide storage, queue, and
table services.  Following the libcloud design patterns, we've implemented working adapters
for Amazon S3 and Nirvanix.  Rackspace has also expressed interest in contributing an adapter
for CloudFiles.  Take a look at the Java repository for the implementation:  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/libcloud/sandbox/java/trunk/src/simplecloud/storage

> I think this would be great in the python base, too.

Thanks for the pointers to the Java code.

So how would you envision adding storage providers to the python
codebase? Would there be a simplecloud directory under the top
libcloud directory, in parallel with the libcloud directory which
contains base.py? So something like:

libcloud/
        libcloud/
                base.py
                providers.py
                drivers/
        simplecloud/
                storage/
                       base.py
                       providers.py
                       drivers/

....and then you would define the base storage classes similarly to
the Java interfaces in simplecloud/storage/base.py, and the actual
implementations in drivers/S3.py.

Would this make sense?

Grig