From Aymeric Barantal <m...@gandi.net>
Subject Re: [libcloud] how to provide a new provider
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2010 14:39:44 GMT
Hello,

Yes it's a complete virtualized infrastructure around XEN to provide virtual machines to customers.
We act as an Iaas provider, like amazon ec, rackspace etc. We prefer on our side to use VPS
term rather cloud one for such service (in France cloud market is not yet mature as in America).

nodes, sizes, location, images and even disks and network resources are typical concepts that
our architecture is acting on. we provide nowadays public cloud services, we will provide
private ones in a short term (and will link to private ip address in libcloud node definition).
We have also projects in development around other infrastructure components virtualization
(storage, network components).

I hope this short answer can convince, a little bit more, that we could be typically a good
candidate for such libcloud integration.

Sincerly,

Aymeric

Le 12 nov. 2010 à 15:10, Schwartz, Philip Marc (LNG-BCT) a écrit :

> I would think a VPS provider is not the intended use of the libcloud api. Libcloud is
designed for cloud infrastructures and currently being extended to key/value stores like CloudStore
and S3.

> I think what would help your case more would be if you can go more into how you define
a vps.

> Is it a uml based jail? BSD style Jail? Or is it a virtualized private infrastructure?
>

> Thank You,
> Philip Schwartz
> Software Engineering
> LexisNexis RIAG
> O - 561 999 4472
> C - 954 290 4024

but we will open a second one in America (Baltimore) in some weeks.

> Also, we just launch a beta release of our public API (xmlrpc based) for our customers
to be able to manage their VPS and associated resources. This API will be open to every customers
in a short term.

> I make the exercice to checkout libcloud (python version) some days ago and develop a
driver to act with our API that I integrate without complexity in this lib. So from my point
of view we can become a new provider for libcloud. But I've got some questions to consider
such integration ;)

> What do you expect or require to integrate a new provider into your baseline ?
>
> Do you have special considerations that we must take care of, for such work ?
>
> I can provide a git patch or pull request easily if you want.
>
> Sincerly,
>
> Aymeric Barantal
>
> - --
> Senior Data Architect @ gandi.net
> mric@gandi.net
>
> This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for
a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you should delete this message.  Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message,
or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.