From "Eric Woods" <woods...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: [libcloud] Cloud storage providers/drivers
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 23:28:03 GMT
+1 from me.  I like this structure.

libcloud/compute
libcloud/storage
libcloud/.....

Something to consider... if the python implementation turns out anything like the Java implementation,
the storage stuff will heavily leverage connection classes within libcloud/base.py.  It might
make sense to factor the connection classes to a common directory.

- Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Grig Gheorghiu [mailto:grig.gheorghiu@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 6:42 PM
To: libcloud@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [libcloud] Cloud storage providers/drivers

2010/11/4 Toma┼ż Muraus <tomaz@cloudkick.com>:
> I envision splitting it into two parts - "compute" and "storage".
>
> So something like this:
>
> libcloud/
>    libcloud/
>        __init__.py
>        compute/
>            base.py
>            providers.py
>            drivers/
>        storage/
>            base.py
>            providers.py
>            drivers/

My vote doesn't really count, but an enthusiastic +1 from me on this
structure ;-)

> Also another question about implementation arises here.
>
> Imo, it would be useful if we can implement the Python "File object"
> interface, because then the storage backends could also be used with Django
> and other libraries which rely that the "file like objects" implement the
> File object interface.
>
> What do others think?

I think that would be very useful, yes.

In fact, I am dreaming about a tool called DASH (for Data Access
Shell), which would offer Unix-like functionality (ls, cd, du, df etc)
for cloud storage backends. I envision typing 'dash' then 'cd
mys3bucket', 'ls *.gif' etc. I was going to forge ahead on my own with
it, but I thought it might be cool to actually implement such
functionality in libcloud, and then use it in a higher-level DSL,
which DASH would be.

Grig