From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Polyglot Libcloud
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 17:08:34 GMT
On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Jerry Chen <jerry@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to open for discussion the state of a multilingual Libcloud and what it means
to be part of the official repository.

Thanks for starting the discussion.

> While we have kept the Java port in its own sandbox, I think there needs to be more discussion
and reconciliation of APIs before we "officially" endorse the Java port.

> How can bring the Java port closer to the feature set of the original API? How can we
share test suites so there is coverage outside of Python?

Agree, we have no litmus test for what it means.  For example, I'm
personally thinking about making a Node.js port of libcloud, but would
desperately like to avoid writing new test cases.

Speaking specifically for Java, I think there are the following issues:

 1) Syncing the API as much as possible.  This needs review from
multiple people, I don't think it has happened yet.

 2) Buildup of a test framework, preferably re-using some of the
python based test system.

 3) Adherence to ASF policy licensing wise;  We need to run RAT
<http://incubator.apache.org/rat/> over the code base and fix up the
issues.

4) Make a release.

5) Continue growing the number of committers contributing to it.  This
also means probably adding new committers :)

> Further down the road, I can see two scenarios for a Python and Java Libcloud existence:
> 1) both fall under the larger Libcloud umbrella and work together to maintain a common
goal; tests are written, features are developed and matured in Python and then adopted/ported
elsewhere; or,