From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Polyglot Libcloud
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:00:27 GMT
And what happens when someone offers an implementation of XYZHosting API
to Java libcloud. Will we accept it if there is no matching API for
Python libcloud? Does Java always need to stay behind the 'reference'
Python version?

Upayavira

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 10:08 -0700, Paul Querna wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Jerry Chen <jerry@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to open for discussion the state of a multilingual Libcloud and what it
means to be part of the official repository.

> Thanks for starting the discussion.
>
> > While we have kept the Java port in its own sandbox, I think there needs to be more
discussion and reconciliation of APIs before we "officially" endorse the Java port.

> > How can bring the Java port closer to the feature set of the original API? How can
we share test suites so there is coverage outside of Python?

> Agree, we have no litmus test for what it means.  For example, I'm
> personally thinking about making a Node.js port of libcloud, but would
> desperately like to avoid writing new test cases.
>
> Speaking specifically for Java, I think there are the following issues:
>
>  1) Syncing the API as much as possible.  This needs review from
> multiple people, I don't think it has happened yet.
>
>  2) Buildup of a test framework, preferably re-using some of the
> python based test system.
>
>  3) Adherence to ASF policy licensing wise;  We need to run RAT
> <http://incubator.apache.org/rat/> over the code base and fix up the
> issues.
>
> 4) Make a release.
>
> 5) Continue growing the number of committers contributing to it.  This
> also means probably adding new committers :)
>
> > Further down the road, I can see two scenarios for a Python and Java Libcloud existence:
> > 1) both fall under the larger Libcloud umbrella and work together to maintain a
common goal; tests are written, features are developed and matured in Python and then adopted/ported
elsewhere; or,