From Solomon Hykes <solo...@dotcloud.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] pricing update thoughts
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 04:34:31 GMT
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Dan Di Spaltro <dan@cloudkick.com> wrote:
> I don't know enough about the DNS protocol, but are there limitations.  This
> seems like a weird way to do it... Are we just doing it to be novel, or I
> don't see why a typical webserver serving JSON (pretty well tested) set up
> isn't good enough.

The 2 things you get for free with DNS are 1. caching and 2. virtually
unlimited scalability.

I would evaluate how much work and money would be spent on
implementing a cache system in libcloud and hosting a json file
reliably. Depending on the answer, using DNS will make sense or not.
Definitely no point in doing it for the sake of novelty.