From Alex Polvi <po...@cloudkick.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] pricing update thoughts
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 04:58:27 GMT
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Jerry Chen <jerry@apache.org> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2010, at 11:34 PM, Solomon Hykes wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Dan Di Spaltro <dan@cloudkick.com> wrote:
>>> I don't know enough about the DNS protocol, but are there limitations.  This
>>> seems like a weird way to do it... Are we just doing it to be novel, or I
>>> don't see why a typical webserver serving JSON (pretty well tested) set up
>>> isn't good enough.
>>
>> The 2 things you get for free with DNS are 1. caching and 2. virtually
>> unlimited scalability.
>>
>> I would evaluate how much work and money would be spent on
>> implementing a cache system in libcloud and hosting a json file
>> reliably. Depending on the answer, using DNS will make sense or not.
>> Definitely no point in doing it for the sake of novelty.
>
> To add to that, this is how I understand this approach in general:
>
> * Pros for DNS
> ** Stable
> ** Existing infrastructure
> ** Replication/caching is "free"
> ** Trust/validity (ownership of domain)
> ** Lends to discovery
>
> * Cons for DNS
> ** Propagation delay/limitation
> ** Records have a finite length limitation, e.g. SPF needs indirection
> ** Different protocol than Provider APIs (DNS v. HTTP)
> ** Discovery not usually needed, as a lot of other things are already hard-coded, viz.
URL endpoints
> ** Non-core library or additional module needed for DNS TXT queries

To be fair....

* Pros for JSON
** Supported by any language (normally w/out additional dependencies)
** Behaves like the cloud providers themselves do
** Caters to web developers, the likely candidate for people actually
building on this stuff
** Human readable with nothing more than curl/browser
** KISS

* Cons for JSON
** We have to run a static webserver (wait, that's not hard at all and
can just use S3)
** Caching (again, it's a static file, so this is not a problem)

I'm not convinced at all that we should complicate things with DNS.

-Alex

--
co-founder, cloudkick.com
twitter.com/cloudkick