From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] pricing update thoughts
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 21:41:49 GMT
On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Solomon Hykes <solomon@dotcloud.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Jerry Chen <jerry@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> It would be awesome if providers would have /pricing.json endpoints so they could
update their own prices.

>> Even crazier is if people had DNS TXT records with that information.
>
> Continuing the craziness... If a provider wishes to maintain prices
> himself, we could setup CNAMEs so that ec2.prices.libcloud.org points
> to, say, libcloud-prices.amazonaws.com.
>
> But I prefer the idea of keeping everything in the same domain. With a
> SCM hook you could update the domain with pricing information from the
> latest revision. When a provider updates pricing information in the
> code, it's automatically pushed to everyone without the need for an
> upgrade.

Okay, I think leveraging DNS makes a ton of sense.

My question is then, how do we have a client from the libcloud side?

Unless I'm being exceptionally thick headed, I don't see how you can
make requests for txt record types in the standard python library?

http://docs.python.org/library/socket.html#socket.gethostbyname

(and the variants gethostbyname_ex and getaddrinfo)

I am less than enthused if we would need another dependency to access
txt records from dns.  There are several possible libraries, PyDNS and
dnspython are at the top of google results.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul