From Tom Davis <...@dislocatedday.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] pricing update thoughts
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2010 04:08:25 GMT
On Jun 2, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Jerry Chen <jerry@apache.org> wrote:

>> On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, I think leveraging DNS makes a ton of sense.
>>>
>>> My question is then, how do we have a client from the libcloud side?
>>>
>>> Unless I'm being exceptionally thick headed, I don't see how you can
>>> make requests for txt record types in the standard python library?
>>>
>>> http://docs.python.org/library/socket.html#socket.gethostbyname
>>>
>>> (and the variants gethostbyname_ex and getaddrinfo)
>>>
>>> I am less than enthused if we would need another dependency to
>>> access
>>> txt records from dns.  There are several possible libraries, PyDNS
>>> and
>>> dnspython are at the top of google results.
>

> On Jun 2, 2010, at 4:51 PM, Ian Kallen wrote:
>
>> FWIW, I previously used dnspython for a homebrewed failover
>> application and elsewhere for dynamic DNS updating, worked great for
>> me in both those cases.
>
> IMHO I think it would be awesome to not have another dependency and
> make a really specialized DNS TXT lookup module.
>
> But I suppose I should back that up with a patch first!
>
> Jerry

Forgive me, but what is the big issue with dependencies? Why spend
valuable time writing and debugging a DNS module when dependencies
don't effect the way 99% of people would install the libcloud package?
Even after the drawn out anti-zope.interface argument, I still don't
get it. If a module is well-tested, stable, and available via the
cheese shop, there's no downside to using it (from my perspective,
anyway).