From Eric Woods <woods...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Apache libCloud in Java
Date Thu, 06 May 2010 22:08:42 GMT
Alex,

I'm glad to hear that you're interested, and I look forward to
contributing.  You certainly raise a fair question.  A few factors played
into the decision to contribute to libcloud over similar, Java-based,
offerings:

1) I like the simplicity of the libcloud API
2) I like the small size of the libcloud code base
3) libcloud features a large set of adapters to key cloud vendors
4) Key cloud vendors are participating in driver development
5) It's straightforward and easy to extend libcloud with additional vendor
support
6) I like that users of libcloud can get up and running quickly and start
interacting with various cloud vendors
7) The libcloud model follows a very similar model to the SimpleCloud API,
which I also like

Based on these advantages, I think having a code base and adapters in Java
will only help the community.  I hope this answers your question.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Eric Woods <woodstae@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Just want to give a heads up.  We're now turning our full attention to the
> Java implementation of Apache libCloud.  I'll follow-up in the next few days
> with the first design documents and code skeleton, but we are targeting a
> strong mapping between the existing Python design and the Java
> implementation.

Very interesting! Thanks for being open about this up front. Looking
forward to seeing what you come up with. I'm sure you're already aware
of this, but jclouds and Dasein exist as similar projects to libcloud,
written in java. Their approaches are quite a bit different, but the
general idea (one client library for a variety of clouds) is the same.
Any reason you prefer to contribute a new version of the libcloud
interface, instead of contributing to those projects?

We are open to libcloud implementations in different languages -- glad
to see headway on that!

Regards,

-Alex

--