From Peter Haggar <pfhag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Java Skeleton Available
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 19:24:40 GMT
I think a Java version makes sense and would like to contribute to it.

>too early to create fragmentation in the cloud communities.
That's exactly what I am trying to avoid and why I think Eric's suggestion
is sensible.  There's too much fragmentation now and his idea is a way to
coalesce some of that under one umbrella.

>Libcloud is undeniably python focused, and Java doesn't make sense here.
No argument that it is python focused today, but the question is does it
make sense to expand to other languages?  I think the answer is Yes because
then there is a single API abstraction that supports a wide variety of IaaS
vendors in multiple languages.  Can you explain why that doesn't make sense?

>I suggest joining a community like jclouds
Again, the goal is a single API abstraction, not multiple.  Moving this to
jclouds would create fragmentation and would require users to use the
libCloud API for an IaaS abstraction if they are coding in Python, but a
different IaaS API if they use Java.  Presumably if the community wanted to
add other languages you'd suggest yet another API?  That makes no sense.
I'd prefer one API.

>...and find it a bad fit, submit your apache incubator proposal.
I would like to avoid that as that creates fragmentation.

Peter