From Alex Polvi <po...@cloudkick.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Java Skeleton Available
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 21:05:42 GMT
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Jerry Chen <jerry@apache.org> wrote:

> On May 14, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Eric Woods wrote:
>
>> As noted earlier, we've targeted a very strong mapping between the existing
>> Python design and the Java implementation. Aside from Python's design being
>> minimal and extensible, this will make it easy to port existing adapters to
>> Java since it's the same structure and model. This will also provide the
>> same look and usage to the user of libcloud adapters for faster adoption.
>>
>> Feedback is welcome and appreciated.
>
> How do we reconcile the fact that for all intents and purposes, the Libcloud community
is geared towards Python developers?

libcloud was definitely started as a python only project. However,
like any open source project, I do not think anyone objects to people
going above and beyond and adding to the project in new or unexpected
ways.

> I'm not opposed to a Java port of Libcloud at all, but merely questioning its placement
within the same repository. From a committer's standpoint, I have far less of an ability to
review, to test and to sign off on Java code than I do for Python.

I think this is the most important point. Is there anyone on the list
capable of reviewing this code? Or contributing to the driver
development? Which drivers would we support at first?

Having a java abstraction with a similar interface is worth looking
into, I am just worried it is going to require a whole new community.

Another option could be to implement a thrift[1] server in python,
then just generate a client library in any language available to
thrift.

This is a more deltacloud like approach, but you get all the benefits
of easy client generation.

Again, totally not opposed to having a whole new subproject in a
different language -- just nervous about the community building
required to do so.

-Alex

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/thrift/

--