From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] GoGrid driver regression?
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 19:14:54 GMT
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Roman Bogorodskiy
<bogorodskiy@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Alex Polvi wrote:
>
>> Roman,
>>
>> The problem is that the driver must return with an ID. Perhaps we need
>> to block and run list_nodes until the node has an id? Lame, but it
>> makes the interface consistent.
>
> I don't quite like idea with blocking. It takes quite a lot of time to
> get id assigned. Here's a typical session of creating a new server on
> GoGrid:

> This output was generated by gg-tools (http://novel.evilcoder.org/gg/)
> that I wrote back then. First column is id, empty column means that id
> wasn't assigned yet.
>
> Please note the timestamps in the shell prompt -- it takes about 3 minutes
> to get id assigned! Imagine if somebody's creating a node in some web's
> framework view and expects to return quickly. If the method will block
> for 3 or so minutes it won't be any good, IMO.

Eeek.  I think we will need to block.  We do this in the softlayer
driver too, it is definitely less than ideal -- but the consistent API
we are trying to provide right now makes the promise that the node id
(and uuid) returned from create_node is the same as what will be
returned from a future list_nodes -- othwerise its even more difficult
for code built on top of libcloud to coorelate these IDs in a cross
provider way, so this is why I think it will need to block until it
can get the right ID for the UUID.