From Tom Davis <...@dislocatedday.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Java Skeleton Available
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 05:51:33 GMT
I've been following this discussion for a while now and figured I'd finally
throw my two cents in. Sorry if it's mostly already been said...

Perhaps the "lib" prefix is a bit of a misnomer, but I don't think we
intended for libcloud to be a library upon which bindings were written.
Given the rate of change in cloud APIs and the fact that any new addition
may require fundamental structural changes to accommodate it, it doesn't
make much sense as one because the bindings would have to fundamentally
change in the same way quite often. Perhaps once we've had the time and
experience to get an API-stable 1.0 release it would make more sense, but
that would then require rewriting basically the entire project for what I
perceive as a limited gain.

There are more maintainable ways to make libcloud available to more than
just pure-Python applications. The easiest of these include a CLI addition
and an XMLRPC server. The latter could even be altered to allow multiple
clients via non-blocking connection libraries, a la Twisted. I wrote
libcloud's core in a way to make this as trivial a change as possible, with
the expectation that it would eventually be adapted to other networking
engines for expressly such a purpose (and hopefully others I haven't thought
of!)

 Look at libcloud as a kind of reference implementation and just live
> with it.

This is another possibility, though I was quite upset to see the interfaces
be deleted since they were a well-documented and implementation-free
reference for how one would make a libcloud-compliant API. At least somebody
(Paul?) went through and added some comments to base class methods...

libcloud has grown quite a bit since its inception. Even so, it still has a
ways to go and fragmenting the community to deal with multiple forks doesn't
strike me as a great idea since we're just now at a 0.3 release. I think
it's absolutely awesome that people have liked and trusted in what we've got
here enough to want to already base multi-language APIs off of it and I see
no reason why that shouldn't be done. However, I don't think it should be
the responsibility of this particular project to grow, manage, and maintain
those forks.

There are just too many Python-based extensions that can be added to make
libcloud even more useful to more people (especially those who don't use
Python) that it seems more efficient to manage those (and the likelihood of
continued support and success for them would be more likely, in any event).