From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Alternative Languages for Libcloud
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 13:41:34 GMT
Paul, I'll throw in my 2c.  First off, the implementation details of languages confuses the
discussion imho.  I'm a big python fan but a lot of what I do in terms of projects at ibm
have lots of different ways of interacting with clouds.  My personal experience is that I
work with python as well as java and throw some ruby in there as well.  What I find frustrating
is that there are lots of APIs for working with a cloud and they provide various "drivers"
to communicate with them.  The real challenge is if you are targetting different clouds some
of the behaviour of the systems in th clouds are different.  So, a common "API" and stable
behaviur would be really nice.  If there was one place to get the API and some implementations
in different language bindings that would be excellent.  From my perspective its more about
standardizing on how clouds behave than the languages used to manipulate them.

(as an aside, i'm looking for a place to host our ae, if there is any interest let me know).

All that to say, I think defining the model (derived from libcloud for instance) and then
multiple instances would be a huge win for people working in the cloud.