From Roman Bogorodskiy <bogorods...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] GoGrid driver regression?
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 08:56:46 GMT
  Paul Querna wrote:

> Eeek.  I think we will need to block.  We do this in the softlayer
> driver too, it is definitely less than ideal -- but the consistent API
> we are trying to provide right now makes the promise that the node id
> (and uuid) returned from create_node is the same as what will be
> returned from a future list_nodes -- othwerise its even more difficult
> for code built on top of libcloud to coorelate these IDs in a cross
> provider way, so this is why I think it will need to block until it
> can get the right ID for the UUID.

If create_node() call will block for several minutes I think there has
to be a warning in the documentation because knowing that create server
is typically a single http request an average API user will be very
surprised seeing this call blocking for so long.

Other possible option is to introduce some argument to create_node() to
control if it's working in blocking mode or not. However, this will make
the API a little more ambiguous.

Just need to choose the lesser of two evils.

Roman Bogorodskiy