From Roman Bogorodskiy <bogorods...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] GoGrid driver regression?
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 19:10:25 GMT
  Alex Polvi wrote:

> Roman,
>
> The problem is that the driver must return with an ID. Perhaps we need
> to block and run list_nodes until the node has an id? Lame, but it
> makes the interface consistent.

I don't quite like idea with blocking. It takes quite a lot of time to
get id assigned. Here's a typical session of creating a new server on
GoGrid:

(11:51) novel@fsol:~ %> gg-server-add -i 1531 -r 512Mb -n idtest
idtest 173.204.38.205
(11:51) novel@fsol:~ %> gg-server-list
 93xxx         gw01       <snip>.202         On
 93xxx         gw02       <snip>.196         On
             idtest       <snip>.205        Off
(11:51) novel@fsol:~ %> gg-server-list
 93xxx         gw01       <snip>.202         On
 93xxx         gw02       <snip>.196         On
             idtest       <snip>.205        Off
(11:52) novel@fsol:~ %> gg-server-list
 93xxx         gw01       <snip>.202         On
 93xxx         gw02       <snip>.196         On
 93xxx       idtest       <snip>.205        Off
(11:54) novel@fsol:~ %>

This output was generated by gg-tools (http://novel.evilcoder.org/gg/)
that I wrote back then. First column is id, empty column means that id
wasn't assigned yet.

Please note the timestamps in the shell prompt -- it takes about 3 minutes
to get id assigned! Imagine if somebody's creating a node in some web's
framework view and expects to return quickly. If the method will block
for 3 or so minutes it won't be any good, IMO.

Maybe we could just return -1 or some other special value for a just
created server?

Roman Bogorodskiy