From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] How to deal with e.g. python-cloudservers
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:19:23 GMT
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Soren Hansen <soren@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi, guys.
>
> I recently stumbled upon python-cloudservers[1][2], which is a complete
> implementation of the Rackspace Cloud Servers API. I wonder how you guys
> feel about these sorts of things. Would you prefer to keep a separate
> implementation in libcloud or would you feel comfortable adding
> python-cloudservers as a dependency of libcloud and just use its
> implementation of the API?

In general we have tried to avoid external dependencies, because if
even half our implementations used an existing library, we would
already easily have 6+ external dependencies, so unless there is a
significant reason to use one, I don't think we will.

I believe much of this stems from seeing other libraries that try the
library on top of libraries approach, and it becomes more difficult to
bring a consistent object and exception model, so that users can truly
write consistent code at the top layer, and at the same time maintain
simplicity.