From Adrian Cole <fernc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] "extended" APIs
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 19:09:16 GMT
Good idea, Paul. Mixing and matching in the same class may get messy,
though. Perhaps you could expose a provider interface where all usage is
implicitly proprietary.

Wdyt?
Adrian

On Apr 23, 2010 12:00 PM, "Paul Querna" <paul@querna.org> wrote:

Hi,

Right now we have several drivers that have more API calls available,
than what is in the standardized libcloud API.

I think we should embrace these, and let drivers be more useful to
people, and if there is ever enough drivers doing something, we should
move the function to a 'standard' API.

I think they do need to be clear to a user/developer that a specific
API is an extension though, and isn't reliable between different
providers, so I believe we should require two things:
 * All extensions have a specific prefix.  For example "ex_", would
mean, "ex_resize_node".
 * In the documentation for an extension function, it should include
something like:
       @warning This is a non-standard extension API, and only works
for driver X.

Thoughts?