From simongsm...@gmail.com
Subject Re: [libcloud] rackspace node password
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 14:13:24 GMT
Thanks Jerry.  [2] references using ssh keys, but unless I'm mistaken,
new Rackspace nodes don't have any non-password ssh access or a known
key (at least Fedora 11 doesn't - maybe the other flavors do?).  My
current Rackspace "automation" is to read the password out of the
email that Rackspace sends, and use Pexpect to login with that
password and transfer my ssh keys & authorized_keys files.   (It's
kinda brittle; e.g. Rackspace changed the format of their email
recently.)  For amazon node creation, I've been using the boto library
— it works well.  I hope libcloud driver is able to expose that PUT
method to change the password sometime.

Thanks again to the libcloud team for this new project - I'll be
watching it closely!

Simon

Hi Simon,

On Apr 9, 2010, at 8:23 AM, Simon Smith wrote:

> I was wondering if it was possible (and if so, how) to set the
> password for a new Rackspace instance.

as far as I know, the Rackspace API doesn't currently provide a
mechanism to launch a node with a custom password. The API itself does
allow one to change the password via a PUT method to /servers/:id [1]
but this is not exposed by the libcloud driver.

Luckily, the latest and greatest for libcloud has been tackling such
deployment issues and providing workarounds such as using SSH to
access and update the password [2].

Also, it's probably not immediately obvious, but create_node() does
not raise an exception or issue a warning for unused arguments.

[1] [http://docs.rackspacecloud.com/servers/api/v1.0/cs-
devguide-20091015.pdf:
<http://docs.rackspacecloud.com/servers/api/v1.0/cs-
devguide-20091015.pdf>] p.28