From Matt Hogstrom <m...@hogstrom.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] All about Images
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:34:30 GMT
Timely topic Paul.  I've been playing around with images on several different clouds and find
that the image construction is one of several other aspects that would be great to standardize
on.  Another area that I've been involved with is what we call activiation.  This includes
the activation of the images for the first boot strap as well as for ongoing events of the
image over its life time.  For initial activation we've (here at mother IBM) built a framework
in python (we're actually using jython so that it is portable across all OS's) that provides
a common activation experience for Linux, AIX, Windows, etc.

Does this sound like this fits in with your thinking?  I'm considering taking our implementation
in its current form and donating it and lib cloud seems like a great place to do this.  Its
not complete and could use lots of input and help but the goal is to provide a common activation
experience across clouds and for helping to orchestrate startup within a collection of VMs.

Thoughts?