From Ian Bicking <ianbick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] need feedback on deployment API in trunk!
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 03:12:24 GMT
On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Tom White <tom@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> So, basically there is a new deploy_node() method on the base driver
>> class.  If a driver supports either giving us the nodes password, or
>> setting one, it logs in using Paramiko, and can do basic setup of the
>> node.  Supporting SSH Keys for places like amazon shouldn't be too
>> hard to extend in here quickly either!

I'm a little wary of paramiko, mostly because of the pycrypto
requirement, which itself require compiling stuff.  It's not terrible,
but it introduces a potential installation problem that I was hoping
to avoid (by using pure Python libraries).  OTOH, I'm on the fence
about using Fabric for the same reason, and if libcloud uses paramiko
then I'd probably not be on the fence and just start using Fabric too
;)  (Currently I'm using ssh calls via subprocess.)

Does deploy_node do both a create, and then run the deployment?  What
kind of error checking does it have?  E.g., if that apt-get fails,
what then?  Does Fabric already accomplish the same things with
greater depth?

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://twitter.com/ianbicking