From "ssteinerX@gmail.com" <sstein...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] example.py tries to print "name" attribute of list, throws exception
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 11:37:44 GMT

On Mar 19, 2010, at 11:58 PM, Tom Davis wrote:

> Are you talking about access keys in the sense of SSH keys? If so, I'd assume Paramiko
works like any other ssh client in that it talks to the user's running ssh-agent; figuring
out how SSH keys work is left as an exercise to the reader.

No.

> If you mean some API-specific key variable, then for the purposes of a non-working example,
just saying "key='asdf1234'" isn't icky, it's just a matter of pragmatism. Certainly we'd
hope that users would take a more portable and security-conscious approach to private string
storage, but AFAIK we have never suggested a standard for doing that, nor is it within the
scope of the project to do so.

It's not a problem in demo code that ships with a product, but a little example of how to
store keys under ~/.ssh with a usable piece of demo code might be handy.

> Hopefully that answers your question :)

Yes, would a simple module for storing private key=123 type things be worth including?  I
have one that I use, it's just a simple class using ConfigParser, and has a simple command
line utility for storing and retrieving key/value pairs.