From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] 0.3.x goals
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 02:18:13 GMT
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Ian Kallen <spidaman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/10/10 4:50 PM, Paul Querna wrote:
> 2. Integrate further up the provisioning food chain with chef or puppet
> (there's a new pythonic project http://github.com/samuel/kokki but haven't
> tried it).

Very interested in going up the chain -- I think it just poses a few challenges:
  - I am not sure we want to pick any single deployment system, but it
puppet, chef, or kokki.
  - I don't think we want to write one from scratch.
  - I want to keep a super simple API.

I think an interesting API to provide is the minimum needed to
kickstart any of the above deployment systems.

 I think providing the framework to SSH into a machine, install one of
the above deployment tools, and copy only the base (single?)
configuration file it needs would be an interesting start.  This is
especially needed for non-EC2 based providers, because most of them do
not provide the ability to create custom pre-baked images yet.

For example, if we provided a deploy_node() api, which takes a similar
kwargs to create_node, but after the node is booted, SSHes in,
installs a few specific things, copies a small number of files into
the machine, and starts a service.  The actual actions could be a
class for each of the above configuration management systems, with the
ability to add your own.

I believe doing this kind of API would best embody what has made
libcloud successful, instead of reinventing everything, try to
normalize what is already out there.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Paul