From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Retire the Kitty Project
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 00:33:38 GMT

On Jul 8, 2012, at 7:16 PM, Alessandro Novarini wrote:

> Before casting my vote I have a question:
>
> If the consensus is to retire the project, what will happen exactly to the code?
>
> Ok, svn will be read only, but what about the project? Will it be forkable? What about
the name? Can the project exist "outside" the Apache world?

It's Apache licensed code. It can be used in any way that it consistent with its license.
So, yes, it absolutely can be forked. It could be forked for one's own private/personal use.
It can be forked to any number of code hosting facilities (e.g. google code, github, etc…
).

It can't be "Apache Kitty", of course. You'd have to check with general@incubator and/or trademarks@apache
about if "Kitty" could be used as its name. Personally, I'd be OK with that…

So, the project could absolutely exist somewhere else. Though I think the group would like
to know who is interested in working on the project outside of Apache? I assume this is just
some rainy day insurance clause -- which is fine… My point would be -- if people are planning
on working on "Kitty", I think the community would like to hear about that.

> As we put some effort in the project, despite the result, It would be disappointing if
we couldn't keep working in any possible way.

Retirement is in no way a reflection on the Kitty codebase or the Kitty committers. And if
the code can be used/reused/forked in any way, I'm all for it…

--kevan