From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2012 ([ppmc])
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2012 02:19:07 GMT

On Jan 11, 2012, at 6:19 PM, Alessandro Novarini wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just finished writing the report on the wiki page.
> Sorry if I might seem rude or not polite, I only tried to base the report on facts relevant
to me, as we didn't discuss together about the actual status of the project.
> I trust if anybody had something to complain, he could freely update the report with
the due corrections.

Hi Ale,
Thanks for the report. I don't have many quibbles with what you've written.

I do have a few general comments:

Communities ebb and flow. Sometimes communities go through slow periods. This is not necessarily
a problem.

Sometimes Incubating projects retire. Not all projects work out. Not all projects attract
a critical mass for an effective community. This is not a failure -- and in no way necessarily
reflects on the technical aspects of the code. Nor does it reflect on the people who contribute
to the community.

That said, if people care about the project. They can keep it going, contribute, and eventually
graduate from Incubator. I have no doubt that can easily happen for Kitty… People make successful
projects and communities. They don't just happen...

And a specific comment:

Re: "The lack of a "Product Owner"" -- the "community" is the "product owner". Anyone (or
group of people) can assume this role. Apache is a meritocracy. If someone has ideas on where
the project should go, wants to define/prioritize tasks, and provide the community with what
features need to be implemented -- they can do so. Anyone can do this -- current committers
or someone completely new to the project can initiate this. So, if someone is interested in
the project, don't just wait for someone to tell you what to do -- *do*. Or, better yet, do
*and* tell other people what to do… ;-)

--kevan