From Gerben CASTEL <gerben.cas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tree navigation & info display proposals
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2011 08:20:55 GMT
Hi,

>> It's a tree, so we'd have to allow duplicate names that are nested.
>> We could use the '/' separator notation; if it prepends the path it
>> means 'start at the beginning, ie select a domain

yes, by using the Unix file system metaphor, I think we should enable
a "navigate from root" notation, such as :

   cd /
   cd /foo/bar/1/2

And in the future, we could add a "go back" notation :

  cd -

to return to the last accessed path.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Matthew Sacks <matthew@matthewsacks.com> wrote:

> On May 31, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Pid wrote:
>
>> On 31/05/2011 13:09, Alessandro Novarini wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My 2 cents:
>>> I don't know whether the metaphor of the file system was used on purpose or
>>> came "by chance";
>>
>> Neither do I.
>
> Originally, it was on purpose. The navigation of the mbean tree originally was intended
to resemble navigation a Unix file system. Its a familiar interface for navigating a hierarchy.

>>> if you want to stick with it, I think that
>>> #1 Are the concepts of domains and "directory" related? if so, and if you
>>> want to collapse the commands, how would you specify your intentions? Would
>>> you add some parameter to the commands?
>>
>> Given that 'directories' are an abstraction anyway, I'm not sure why
>> we'd separate them.
>>
>>> So, for example, how would you change to the domain 'foo' when in your
>>> current directory there's also a directory named 'foo'?
>>
>> It's a tree, so we'd have to allow duplicate names that are nested.
>> We could use the '/' separator notation; if it prepends the path it
>> means 'start at the beginning, ie select a domain'
>>
>>> #2 I agree that maybe you could add more information about what's happening,
>>> but I have two use cases in mind that puzzles me:
>>>
>>> a) I'm in a directory deep in the structure, and I type
>>> *cd ..*
>>>
>>> *then a llist is displayed; again, I type*
>>>
>>> *cd ..*
>>>
>>> *and again another list is displayed.*
>>>
>>> *Doing this more will fill your console with a lot of information you didn't
>>> really need.*
>>
>> Yes, agreed.  (It was a tentative suggestion, because I'm not sure it's
>> right either, hence asking for comments.)
>>
>> What if we just display info on initial connection, to get people started?
>>
>>> b)
>>> *cd foo*
>>>
>>> *a list of item is displayed*
>>>
>>> *do something*
>>> *do something else*
>>> *do something else*
>>> *do something else*
>>> (the list goes out of view)
>>>
>>> now how can I recall the list? I don't think you want to keep ls, do you?
>>>
>>> I hope my thoughts are clear and correct somehow.
>>
>> Perfectly, thanks for your input.

>>> Thanks
>>> Ale

 - Gerben CASTEL -